Fitch Mid-Career Fellow: Research grants of up to $15,000 will be
awarded one or more mid-career professionals who have an academic background,
professional experience and an established identity in one or more of the
following fields: historic preservation, architecture, landscape architecture,
urban design, environmental planning, architectural history and the decorative
arts. The James Marston Fitch Charitable Foundation will consider proposals for
the research and/or the execution of the preservation-related projects in any
of these or other allied fields. Criteria for Evaluation
Applications are reviewed by the Fitch Trustees. Projects will be evaluated on the following criteria:
• The project will make a meaningful contribution to the academic and/or professional field of historic preservation in the United States
• The applicant has a realistic plan for the dissemination of research and/or final work product
• The project has clear and realistic goals, timeframe, work plan, and budget
• The project demonstrates innovative thinking, original research and creative problem solving and/or designEligibility
• Grants are awarded only to individuals, not organizations. The Foundation does not fund university-sponsored research projects or dissertation research.
• Applicants must be mid-career professionals
with at least 10 years experience in historic preservation or related fields, including architecture, landscape architecture, architectural conservation, urban design, environmental planning, archaeology, architectural history, and the decorative arts.
• Applicants must be legal residents or citizens of the United States.
Please email us with any questions concerning criteria for evaluation or project eligibility.How to Apply:
Applicants are required to submit the following materials AS ONE PDF DOCUMENT.
1. Cover page, including Project Title; Name of Applicant(s), including primary contact person; Applicant Address; Phone; Email; and the amount of grant money requested.
2. Brief description of project, including how the final work product will be disseminated. Applicants are encouraged to be succinct and the description is not to exceed three (3) pages.
3. Detailed work schedule and project budget, showing the grant amount requested from the Fitch Foundation and how this money will be spent.
4. Curriculum Vita, including professional and academic background, and past and present grants received.
5. Two (2) letters of support for the project to be included with the application.PLEASE SUBMIT ALL MATERIALS AS ONE PDF DOCUMENT.Selection Process & Completion of Grant
Grants are awarded at the discretion of the Foundation. Recipients will be notified by e-mail in the Spring of 2018. Projects must be completed within twelve (12) months of the grant award. All grantees will be assigned a Trustee advisor who will provide feedback and guidance throughout the project.
Typically, grant awards are divided into equal payments, the first being presented upon the award of the grant. Substantial written progress reports are required for all subsequent payments. The final payment is awarded only upon completion of the project.
The Foundation shall be acknowledged in all publications. The Trustees reserve the right to publish the results if the recipient does not. The grant recipient must sign a release to the Foundation permitting such publication. Proper credit will be given to the grant recipient.